Get the look for AW19! Hot pink box bob, graphic nails and flawless finish
One of our new AW19/20 trends blog series is inspired by “Freestyle: dual dynamics”. This trend is inspired by inclusivity and gender fluidity, with bold colours and contrasting style.
We worked with Errol Douglas, award-winning nail technician Metta Francis and leading MUA Branka Vorkapic to create the Autumn Winter 19/20 trend. Here, they share their tips for recreating the look...
Errol Douglas created this stunning box bob and says, “This model’s hair was shoulder length to begin with. It was quite a dramatic transformation as she went from blonde to pink.”
To achieve this bold hue, mix 50ml Celeb Luxury Viral Colorwash shade Purple with 25ml Celeb Luxury Viral Colorwash shade Hot Pink applied to the root area and then smudge down to the mid-lengths. Continue with just the hot pink for the mid length to ends of the hair. Leave to develop for 30 minutes and then wash through again, applying the colours.
For the undercut, apply shade XP100 shade 6.0 mixed with 6% developer to the undercut section of the hair at the back.
To prolong the colour, encourage your client to use this at home to refresh the intensity.
Top tip: Pre-lighten the hair to a light blonde to achieve this colour intensity.
“Take your time with deep colours as definition is super important”
Errol says, “Her hair was sectioned off all around the parietal bone and lower nape of her neck and this was undercut. The overall classic shape of the hair cut is a box bob that came to her cheek bone.”
“The fringe was particularly sectioned out to stay heavy”, says Errol. “This encourages her to have a versatile look with the undercut, meaning she can brush her hair left or right or slick it back to reveal the shorter part of the hair.”
Shop the look
- Professional demi-permanent hair colour
- Provides extraordinary softness and brilliance to hair
- Dual action colouring system - long lasting, rich, intense results
- Shine polymers create smooth, even, reflective transparent film
- Up to 50% grey coverage
- Range includes 32 shades and 2 specifically formulated developers
- 100% Vegan and Cruelty Free
- Climate Compensated Packaging
- Sulphate and Paraben Free
- Produced in Sweden
- Natural Salt
- 100% vegan volumising mousse
- Sulphate & Paraben free
- Volumising mousse with medium hold
- Colour Guard Complex protects against UV-rays
- Co2 Compensated Packaging
- Delivers body, conditioning and medium hold
- Advanced thermal protection helps protect against heat damage
- Volumizing formula helps provide added lift and fullness while blow-drying
- Defines curls and waves
- Creates tousled, beachy styles anywhere and adds lush volume with touchable movement
- Awapuhi extract balances moisture for a healthy-looking finish
- Enhances and defines curls and waves
- Free from parabens and gluten
- Colour safe
For this Freestyle Dual Dynamics trend nails are graphic and bold. Here’s award-winning nail technician Metta Francis’ step by step guide to creating these nude nails with dark blue designs…
File nails to shape, then prep and cleanse using Gelish Nail Surface Cleanse. Then apply Gelish Foundation using a Gelish brush dedicated to dry brushing only.
Create the look
- Apply two coats of Gelish Tan My Hide and cure for 30 seconds using the Gelish UV Light.
- Use the thinnest nail art brush from the ASP Nail Art Brush set and Gelish Ole My Way. Then paint random, abstract style shapes at the cuticle area and bordering the nail only. Paint the shapes in different places on each nail and cure.
- Apply a second layer of Ole My Way to the shapes.
- Apply Gelish Top Coat and cure.
Shop the look
- ASP Nail Art Brushes
- High quality tool
- Create an abundance of nail art designs
- Pack of 4
- Dance your way into Fall with these new shades
- Inspired by the vibrant culture and scenery of Spain
- Cures in LED lamp in 30 seconds
- Lasts for up to 3 weeks with no chipping or peeling
- Soaks off completely in only 10-15 minutes
- Award-winning patented formula
- Up to 21 days of chip free wear
- Cures in a LED Lamp in 30 seconds
- New ergonomically designed cap & bottle
- Soaks off completely in 10-15 minutes
- Comfort Cure technology to mitigate heat spikes for sensitive clients
- Optimized For PolyGel: New 60 second button has optimized the new light for curing PolyGel white applications
- The Gold Standard of LED; improved High Efficiency LED technology that saves power and increases longevity
- Illuminated comfort pad and digital touch screen display
- Meets standard safety compliances world-wide, with Patented eyeShield and Safelight Technology
MUA Branka Vorkapic created a flawless look with dense purples on the lip. Follow this step by step guide to recreate…
Prep the skin using Sienna X new skincare range taking care to cleanse, tone and moisturise. The Sienna X Retinol Serum will ensure your client has a radiant complexion and will help to achieve the final dewy look.
Create the look
- Apply Bodyography Foundation primer in Clear
- Using a Foundation brush, apply a thin layer of Bodyography Natural Finish Foundation to the face, including the eyelids and lips.
- Create a luminous effect on the cheeks with the Bodyography Inner Glow Stick - Essence + Highlighter. Branka says, “This is a great piece to have in your kit, especially if you are a freelancer.”
Swipe the Essence end onto the highpoints for luminance and use the Highlighter end to accentuate her bone structure. The one shade flatters all skin tones.
- Slick Bodyography Shadow Stylist Crayon Aglow across the eyelids for added luminosity.
- Finish off the eyes with Bodyography mascara and focus on keeping the rest of the skin minimalist and dewy.
- The lips are the focal point of this look. Prepare with the Bodyography Exfoliating Lip Duo and carefully line the lips with a well pointed Lip Liner.
Try the Sleek MakeUP Lip Pencil in Cherry Oak and, using a fine lip brush, fill in with Sleek MakeUP Matte Me Lipstick in Vino Tinto for a really bold lip.
“Take your time with deep colours as definition is super important”, adds Branka.
- Spritz Bodyography Ready, Set, Go all over the face.
Shop the look
- Lightweight water based primer
- Extends the wear of foundation & controls oil & shine
- Creates a uniform canvas for flawless makeup application
- Softens fine lines & wrinkles
- Formulated without parabens & gluten
- Achieve ultimate glow in just two easy steps
- Swipe essence onto the highpoints for luminance
- Use highlighter to accentuate bone structure
- Each end can be worn alone or layered together for elevated radiance
- Colour: Light-Neutral Champagne/Clear Essence to flatter all skin tones
- Nourishing Mascara to reveal long, defined lashes
- Powered by peptides, natural extracts, and nutrient-rich vitamins
- Helps nourish, volumize and lengthen lashes
- Easy to remove
- Long-wearing, versatile, creamy eyeshadow stick
- Use to line, highlight, and create a smoky eye
- Enhances any eye look
- Can be used as a shadow base or all over eyeshadow
- In 3 universally flattering shades
Hair Colour Direction& Hair Stylist: Errol Douglas MBE at Errol Douglas London Salon
MUA: Branka Vorkapic @brankamakeup
Nail technician: Metta Francis @nailsbymets
Stylist: Jess Grist @iseebambi
Photographer: Barry Jeffery @barryjeffery