From a confetti-pumped opening (complete with real-life dancing Brit awards) to Adele’s #totesemosh thank-you speech, and Justin Bieber and James Bay’s collaboration (we’re all Beliebers now), this week’s Brit Awards did not disappoint. However, it was the hair and make-up that really caught our eyes. PROinsider
spoke to the industry experts who reveal their tips for recreating the star looks on your clients.
Jourdan Dunn’s up-do
Supermodel Jordan Dunn’s sleek up-do isn’t just for the red carpet – it’s the perfect style for a wedding or posh party too. Session stylist Neil Moodie tells you how to get the look in five easy steps.
1. Start by applying a light serum to wet hair.
2. Blow-dry hair with a large vent brush creating a centre parting.
3. Lightly backcomb the hair a little around the crown to add volume.
4. Leaving the front sections free, use a flat bristle brush to gather the hair into a low ponytail by the nape of the neck. Depending on the length, either wrap the hair into a tight chignon and secure with pins, or leave as a ponytail if the hair is longer.
5. Finish with a gentle spritz of hair spray for shine and hold.
Adele’s feline smoky eyes
Healthy, dewy and glowing skin teamed with feline smoky eyes was one of the key looks at the Brits – a look that Adele nailed. It’s perfect for clients wanting a dramatic look for an evening event – here are make-up artist and hair stylist Alyn Waterman’s top tips.
1. Prep the skin using a primer with light reflective properties to achieve a dewy finish.
2. Use soft, waterproof black kohl eyeliner along the waterline and lashline on the upper lid to ‘tightline’ the eyes (the technique of applying eyeliner nestled between the two creates the illusion of bigger eyes), flicking out to create a gorgeous feline flick.
3. Contour cheeks with a gold highlighter – the bronzed tones add a wonderful radiance to the complexion.
4. Use velvet-red lipstick to complete the look. Remember – always use a lip liner first when creating such a bold lip.
Rihanna’s slick bob
Rihanna was turned heads for many reasons at the Brits, but it was the singer’s tresses that made us do a double take. Here, Katie Allan, creative manager at Charles Worthington, tells us how to get the look.
1. When drying the hair, smooth hair flat using a paddle brush. Use an anti-frizz product to tame any fly-aways.
2. Separate hair into fine horizontal sections around the head and start straightening from the bottom, working your way up to the parting, to create a super-straight finish.
4. Finish with a generous mist of strong hold hairspray.
Top Tip: Jess Glynn’s far-out ‘fro
For the style, use the pintailing technique, which involves wrapping tiny sections of hair around a pintail comb and applying heat with the straighteners. The comb turns into a mini heat rod and the hair is left with a beautiful fluffiness.
For the colour, “use a deep auburn shade on natural golden blonde locks to bring your client’s hair to life just like Jess Glynn’s gorgeous tresses,” advises Katie Allan.
Neil Moodie is supporting the launch of Viviscal’s new consumer range ‘Gorgeous Growth’ which includes a Densifying Shampoo & Conditioner, an Elixir and Conceal & Densifying Hair Fibres, designed to create the appearance of thicker, fuller hair. Viviscal Professional supplements are sold in selected salons throughout the UK. Visit www.viviscalprofessional.co.uk/
for more information. Images: Getty, Instagram and Rex Features